Record Applications To Propel ICT

We’re pleased to announce today that a record number of entrepreneurs applied to take part in Propel ICT’s startup programs. A total of 162 companies submitted applications for the Build and Launch programs, an increase of 25 per cent over last year. “The record interest in Propel ICT’s accelerator programs shows that the startup community in Atlantic Canada is building momentum,” says Dave Grebenc, CEO of Innovatia and Chair of Propel ICT. “More people are taking control of their own destiny, and recognizing that they can build successful companies from a base on the East Coast.”

Those applications came from all parts of Atlantic Canada, with nearly 20 per cent coming from PEI in the first year we have formally offered programs there. About 70 per cent of applications were for the Launch program, while the remaining 30 per cent applied to Build.

Propel ICT has a rigorous selection process. From those 162 applications, 56 are invited to Selection Camps being held across the region in February.

The Selection Camp committee is made up of entrepreneurs and mentors who are volunteering their time, along with our investment partners BDC, Pelorus Ventures, Innovacorp, and NBIF. We are also grateful for the hands-on support from representatives of the governments of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI and Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency and the National Research Council.

Our work with our community partners is a key part of Propel ICT’s offering, both in selecting our cohort and delivering our programs. The Selection Camps will be held:

  • February 3 in Moncton, with Venn Centre and Planet Hatch
  • February 4 in Halifax, with Volta
  • February 8 in St. John’s, with Common Ground
  • February 11 in Charlottetown, with LaunchPad PEI

Based on the outcome of the Selection Camps, 36 companies will be selected for the Accelerators, which begin March 1st. We look forward to introducing our next cohort when the selection process is complete.